What I am, what I'm not - Behaviour consultant Vs Natural Horsemanship practitioner

 Hi all,

So this post really links in with what services I offer... I feel like it needs to be clearer what I can help with and what I won't, not can't, but won't help with and of course why this is the case. 

I've had several really lovely, kind horse lovers ask for support with their horses recently saying they want to develop their horsemanship skills, and while explaining what they want to do, which is usually develop a better understanding of their horses body language and behaviour, and deepen the connection they have, they have also referred to 'Natural Horsemanship' frequently. I will say straight up I am NOT a natural horsemanship practitioner. I have been in the past but I have learnt more, developed better skills and understanding and educated myself on how and why various approaches to training work. Because of this natural horsemanship is not something I teach, promote, and in fact you're more likely to hear me having a bit of a rant about it in reference to outdated methods than you are to hear me say anything good about it (though some of the philosophies are super, but sadly many of the applications don't align with them and it all goes a bit topsy turvy the more you learn about it). 

Natural horsemanship is mostly based on negative reinforcement (pressure/relief). It is about applying some level of unpleasantness such pulling, pushing or making them physically or emotionally uncomfortable and then once they move away or show a behaviour the trainer thinks is desirable we release the 'pressure' and they feel relief. The key to this is that the horse learns how to AVOID discomfort, pain or generally unpleasant experiences. Some level this up and rely on flooding (overwhelming) the horse until they shut down (many practitioners call this 'desensitisation' but it is in reality far, far from real desensitisation work) or even using a lot of physical corrections, body restraints or punishments, non of which are ethical, acceptable nor necessary. 

In addition to the methods used the majority of Natural Horsemanship is based on incredibly outdated science which has been disproved, such as 'dominance theory'. Natural horsemanship tells us that horses need an alpha or leader and we need to tell them what to do in order for them to feel safe and secure. It also tells us that there is a strict hierarchy which horses stick to, again, which is not the case at all. 

Take 'Join-up' for example, it is sold as a technique to develop a bond and trust between you and your horse, it has great, idyllic marketing behind it and I bought into it too once. However the reality of what is happening is a far cry from what practitioners will tell you (and in fact what they seem to genuinely believe) is happening. For those who don't know about join-up it's based on chasing a horse around a round pen (the whole 'move their feet' mumbo jumbo), you keep at the horse, using big threatening body postures 'to show them you're in charge', changing their direction on occasion until they show stress signals which NH practitioners believe are signs the horse is relaxing, in reality this is appeasement behaviours, they've no outlet and want what's happening to stop so they try to ease the situation (I mean there is a lunatic human chasing them for no apparent reason who wouldn't want to appease the situation after a while?!). It doesn't have to be outwardly aggressive, but it is always relentless. They will typically begin to lick and chew and lower their head into a non threatening posture not long after they realise that they can't run away (flight). This again comes down to the horse wanting it to stop, once they show these appeasement signals the practitioner stops chasing them and turns their body away, typically the horse is so relieved that they come over and stand calmly with the practitioner. After a few repetitions the horse learns that there is no point trying to run so they will show the appeasement signals faster the next time (except for 1 horse I used to 'join-up' with many years ago who used to always jump out of the pen and gallop up the field, sensible boy!). When the horse comes over to you and begins following it's typically because they know they will either get chased again if they don't do this or that they are aware that they have very few other options (I mean a round pen hardly gives them much scope to make their own choices!). 

Activities such as join up are about the trainer pushing the horse until their only option is to give in, if practiced on a regular basis they can shift into learned helplessness and you end up with a horse who appears to be 'perfectly behaved' but is actually just shut down. Don't get me wrong, these methods do 'work' with a lot of horses, but as I'm sure you've heard me say before, just because we can, doesn't mean we should! Once practiced regularly you can 'join-up' in the middle of a huge field and your horse will circle around you despite not enjoying it simply because they've been conditioned to do so - it may look like something from a fairy tale but it's actually more like something from a nightmare for them once you realise why and how it works. I used to think it was brilliant I could do this with my horse, now I look back and grimace.

This is just one example of why I do not promote natural horsemanship protocols. While I am not completely against the proper and careful use of negative reinforcement in some contexts, and there are some really kind, thoughtful and gentle practitioners out there but natural horsemanship is typically all about outdated science and also in many cases sadly, a good dose of showmanship. 

Horses do not have a strict dominance hierarchy, and it fact it's more important to them that they feel safe and secure with us than it is that we 'show them we're the leader', horses work TOGETHER to feel and stay safe, they have intricate social systems and enjoy close relationships with subtle and often gentle communication and interactions. They also avoid conflict where possible and it is rare to see wild horses fighting for real, so to call a method based on dominance and fear 'natural' when horses avoid these things in nature just doesn't sit right with me any more. Natural horsemanship makes people feel good, not the horses. While it may have 10 years ago, to me that's neither natural, nor horsemanship any more. I want the horses in my life, including those who I am helping but belong to other people, to feel like they have some control over their lives, that their feelings are valued and to want to hang out with me and learn with me because they enjoy it and benefit from it, not because they have no other options. I work by valuing each horse as the sentient individual that they are are aim to find what works best for them and their human in order to meet their needs and help them in the best way that I can. I don't offer quick fixes and the training is very unlikely to be exciting, fast paced or fun to watch, in fact we aim for non-event training where things stay pretty low key, safe AND effective.


 

So while we could use these approaches, when there are alternatives I no longer feel it's justifiable. What people want from natural horsemanship seems to be better connection with their horses, the ability to improve their horsemanship skills, to adopt a more holistic approach to horse care and management and to improve their horses wellbeing and behaviour. That's where behaviour consultants or more ethical 'science based' trainers come in and this is what I do offer.

I can't speak for others, even those of us with the same qualifications and similar experiences all will bring our own unique spin to things, but for me here are SOME of the things I can help with:

  • I can teach you about horse behaviour, body language and communication.
  • I can teach you about a horses natural lifestyle and needs (Ethology).
  • I can help you get creative with your horses environment and help you add enrichment.
  • I can offer tips for how to bond with your horse and build trust.
  • I can take a detailed case history to help diagnose and resolve behaviour problems.
  • I can look at your horses behaviour from a biopsychosocial perspective to make sure I have the 'whole picture' and to make sure we work WITH your horse and their needs, rather than covering issues up.
  • I can coach you in ethical, science-based, positive reinforcement training to teach your horse new things.
  • I can support you in changing your horses emotional response to things they aren't comfortable or happy with, and in turn encouraging safer behaviour from them.
  • I provide follow up support with each consult or lesson.
  • I can help with practical activities such as cooperative care, to make you and your horses life easier. 
  • I can teach you the tools not just the lesson - I want you to come away with knowledge as well as skills, so you can be empowered to work with your own horse safely should any other 'problems' arise in the future. 
  • I can answer any questions you may have on behaviour, training, horse management etc.
  • I will only teach you what I know, based on science and research, if you want to know about body language and communication signals I will teach you (its a significant part of all of my coaching) but I will teach it based on what the research says, not what an old school natural horsemanship practitioner, no matter how 'lovely' they are.
  • I will promote putting the physical and mental wellbeing and welfare of the horse first.
  • I will always prioritise safety.  
  • I will only work under a veterinary referral. 


What I won't help with

  • Join-up, parelli or any other 'natural' horsemanship activities.
  • I will not use or promote punishment (These are for true emergencies only as far as I'm concerned). 
  • I will not place the owners goals before the horses welfare.
  • I will not put training a behaviour before the horses emotional or physical experience.
  • I will not use or allow the use of equipment such as control halters, whips, spurs, training aids such as draw reins, passoas or chifneys. 
  • I will not encourage you to progress to any 'next step' of training until you and your horse are, and feel, ready to do so. 
  • I won't teach lunging or round pen work, but can teach reverse round pen work where appropriate. 
  • I won't advise on any medical issues or behavioural problems beyond my knowledge base. 

 

I hope this helps clear some things up, and importantly gives you insight into what I CAN help with. I am happy to discuss any aspect of horse training and behaviour should anyone have any questions.

 

For more information on my services please visit my website:

 www.feralhearts-horses.com


Popular Posts